68 Seekers
93 Finders
CatherineReads

I Read Words Other People Write

UF, UF, UF. PNR, HR, Sci-Fi, finding a bit more YA that I enjoy. Mystery, crime, detective shit. Have recently figured out I'm not really a contemporary romance gal. I like smut but am not really into erotica. Oh, did I mention UF?

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Julie Kagawa
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch

The Shining Girls

The Shining Girls - Lauren Beukes Did you ever see the move Amityville Horror? Not the 2005 movie (suck it Hollywood), but the 1979 one. OK, maybe not the best analogy, but the house is just f'd up. It's just wrong. No explanations, no science or pseudo-science, it just is.

This house takes people and turns them into horrors. It shows one man the past, the present and the future, all blurred into one inescapable path. He must find these 'shining girls' in their past then chase them into their future. He must murder them. One girl escapes. Then the real chase is on.

This story got its hooks in me. At first, the switch-ups in the timeline took me a bit to get a handle on, but once I did, I could not put this book down. Time-travel, mystery, thriller, bunk reporter coming back for the story of a lifetime, and the girl. Not a victim but a survivor of a horrific attack, yeah, somewhat obsessed over her own case, but in a relentless pursuit of the truth!

I love Kirby. She is a real person. We are all dealt some great stuff (hopefully) and a whole lot of shit stuff that, if we are lucky, we learn how to shed and still love those who dealt it to us. She's not a horribly damaged person, prone to freezing fits of emotion or debilitating memories. She's a woman on a mission who was dealt a pretty f'd up circumstance that no one would want to go through. Evidenced by the cops, the reporters, and her family that never really want to talk about her tragedy. So she does the only thing she can, lives. Keeps on living.

That's all I can say. If you like crime novels or thrillers, I think you should give this one a go. It won't get wrapped up with a neat and tidy ribbon, but really, life never does.